Tuesday, October 2, 2012

What I Know

Knowing how Migraines effect me, and knowing about migraines medically is completely different to me. I             know little medically about migraines. I know some medications, food, drinks, life style, and stress triggers that can effect migraines, can make them worse, or can make them go away. I know of some myths, fables, and some home remedies that people have told me, and some that I have read up on through the years. But I have never dived deep into the world of migraines like I am now.
        When I know I have a migraine coming on my first instinct is I need to find some thing to drink, or eat but I stay away from certain foods. I don't get chocolate, although I have been told that when you have a migraine chocolate is good to eat because it helps the blood sugar, and it has some caffeine in it as well. I have heard conflicting stories about caffeine, it's been said that caffeine can cause a migraine to go, in not so many words OUT OF CONTROL. Whether it's coffee, tea, soda, chocolate, all are caffeinated and sugary, they taste good but are not for people like me who have migraines every week.
       Did you know that treatments of migraines can include anti-depressants, and powerful pain medications (Vicodin, Oxycodon, Excedrin, Tylenol, Ibuprofen). When I was tested for which type of migraine i may have, the doctor prescribed me an anti-depressant called Amitriptyline, it's a powerful anti-depressant that is addictive, and can have side affects that include dizziness, drowsiness, you are warned not to drive a car when you have taken the medication, alcohol can increase all the side affects. Does this sound like something you would want to take every night? Not for me, I would never take anything that my doctor would tell me "Once you start taking this medication you can't stop, because the side affects from stooping can have a serious effect on your body." Dealing with my migraines is enough, I don't need to add dealing with medication problem to that list, plus I have a problem with taking pills on time, or actually taking them. I have stuck with Pain killers for now because I don't know of any other treatments just yet to help with the pain of the migraines.
      One theory I have come up with on how to combat my migraine, is crawl into a fetal position, with the room pitch black, you could trip over a shoes in the room because you can't see it, no sounds not even TV in the back round. It's not a conventional way to cure a migraine and if I do say myself, it doesn't work that well at all. But I have no other ways to fight my migraines, except showering in hot water and sitting in the tub  for an hour or longer (the water doesn't stay hot that long most of the time). As for any other suggestions or theories as to how to get rid of a migraine, or how to calm them down, I don't have any, because I don't that much about migraines besides what has happened to me to during them. I'm interested to find out what others have for theories, and Home remedies in order to have a life, and not let migraines control my life, because my life is my own, and i only have one to live.

1 comment:

  1. Interesting section--it stands nicely on its own. I had migraines, by the way, right through my teens, so I have more than a book knowledge of what you are dealing with.

    ReplyDelete