Monday, October 22, 2012

Classification Essay


         A Preteen, Teenager, and a Woman; they are all unique, but a fragrance is unique to a woman, its more the fragrance picks the woman, conforming to a woman's scent. I always know how to spot a person that I know is looking for a fragrance, They pick up one spray, wafting,  pick up another bottle, stop and repeat. But finding that right fragrance for every person is a challenge, there is always three differences between scents. Fresh, Floral, and Warm. There are also certain selling points any beauty adviser must ask when showing, and selling a fragrance. First, you look for the signals that the client is interested in a perfume, and not just strolling by the counter and taking a sniff before they head on their merry way. I ask "Hi, How are you? I see you are looking at Lancome's premiere fragrances, what is your ideal scent?" "Fresh, Floral, or Warm."
         Now a days the search begins in middle school, when wearing a fragrance becomes more common. You start out liking fresh scents, your nose not yet developed for stronger smells. You try body sprays (Ralph Lauren Polo 1-4), scented lotions Justin Bieber, Viva La Juicy. During my middle school days I always liked the sweet scents from Bath and Body Works: Cucumber Melon, and Warm Vanilla Sugar. Still all fresh scents, in the category of fruity, sweet, with a hint of floral. Soon, I bought my first real perfume, Curious by Britney Spears, a sweet, bright scent. Over time my love of perfume is not limited to one perfume at a time, as I soon became addicted to the beautiful, fruit scents, I need more when ever I went to the store. To satisfy my palette I would purchase the perfumes, try them out, and if I decided I didn't like them, I started giving them as gifts, only to realize that buying and giving perfumes don't always go hand in hand buying perfume is a very personal purchase.
         A scent reflects who you are, how you want people to see you.  Are you a Chanel Chance Eau De Parfum? A floral fragrance, with beautiful hints of grapefruit and quince(An Innocent fragrance, surround by intoxicating notes.) as Sephora says. Maybe you are Versace Yellow Diamond, A warm floral fragrance, with a hint of vanilla,(glamorous, and chic). Every thing a teenager wants to wear around high school, attracting the opposite sex with a light floral scent. Maybe you are a Miss Dior Cherie, a favorite scent of mine, but not every person can wear it.  A spicy floral blend of mandarin, caramel, patchouli, chic and youthful.
         Each of my perfumes reflects me. Right now working at Lancome, and knowing that I am growing into a more mature woman, my scents are more towards the Warm side now. Sometimes layering a Warm fragrance, with another light, warm fragrance, putting a Body by Burberry lotion to bring out the spicy patchouli side, and mixing my new counter perfume La Vie Belle, with the bottom notes of vanilla, cedar wood, and musk, basically creating a new perfume, while other days I like to wear the pure perfume, which has always been a favorite on the counter for years Tresor, a Vanilla and Patchouli Fragrance. My fragrance usually reflects How i am feeling that day, and what mood I am in. I have serious scents and fun scents, intriguing scents and simpler scents. After all, Working at a make up counter always has the best perks, you get to learn, play, and find what works for you.
          Younger generations, older generations, they each have their own scents, the fruity smells, the floral smells, to the warm smells. Could be Justin Bieber, Lady Gaga, or Taylor swift, Opium, Hypnose, Miracle, O De Lancome. Just because I tend to move towards the Warm scents, rather than YSL, Versace, or Chanel which are all along the lines of Floral scents doesn't mean my next customer will like the same thing. Every smell is different, every pallet is unique. It is all about your choice, and Chemistry with the fragrance, almost like the chemistry you need with your partner, your fragrance is your new partner.

1 comment:

  1. This is sort of out of my wheelhouse....

    I'm not even an aftershave or men's cologne guy. My soap is unscented Ivory. Ditto for my wife.

    Given my complete ignorance of the subject, I think this works--you have categories, you dab a little of each on yourself in grafs 2,3,4 to make it individual. I'll take it.

    ReplyDelete