Sunday, November 4, 2012

Example Essay

     In my house there are three meals that are examples of meals from the heart, that mean family and memories. We have them on a weekly basis: Spaghetti, Macaroni and Cheese with Hot Dogs, and Shepard's Pie.  We will occasionally have other meals like Chop Suey, Ham and Potatoes, but those first three meals are made every week, Why you ask? Well, that is pretty much what is in my cook book, that can be made, and is edible, and that everyone likes from my boyfriend to my parents. I'm not saying that I'm a bad cook or to lazy to look up other recipes, but I have set the fire alarm off in my apartment way to many times to venture too far from my normal cooking, so the examples are short and yummy: Spaghetti, Macaroni and Cheese with Hot Dogs, and Shepard's Pie.
     When I was younger, my parents split up for a year. My dad would always do the comfort food dinners, mostly Macaroni and Cheese with Hot Dogs. Now that I have grown up, I have taken that idea and run with it, as an every week meal. Easy, Simple, and dummy proof. I mean who could mess up boiling water, well as long as the water doesn't boil over the pan. Adding the noodles so they get tender and chewy, but not mooshie. Then the best part and the one I use to love doing as a kid, adding the Milk, Butter, and the Cheese. Now the last step is always the one I could and some times do mess up, especially when I don't add enough milk, or we don't have any milk in the house, and my boyfriend suggests we use water instead (Mind you he adds cold water). Then it becomes a messy, cold, blah meal, with no taste. But Hey, at least the house is safe from harm, and I didn't burn it down that night.
     There is one meal that is a way to a mans heart and that is Shepard's Pie. I couldn't tell you how happy my boyfriend was to have it the first time I tried making it. It was the one meal he looked forward to when growing up, with just his dad and sister in the house, his dad grew to be a very good cook, and shepards pie was one of their favorites to make. The difficult part of shepards pie is always the broiling part, to get that nice looking golden crust on top with out smoking out the oven and setting the alarm off. My dad could do it, My roommate from years ago could could do it, so my first cooking, why the heck couldn't I do it. Well because i am easily distracted, so that first attempt equaled black crust, not golden. Since then i have gotten really great at making Shepard's pie, I stayed focused when cooking it, and set the timer for less time in the broiler.
    One of my mothers favorite meals to cook at home is Spaghetti. All the meals mentioned have a significant meaning to me but this dinner reminds me of my family, and what I want my new family memories to be. This is what my grandmother would cook when ever we would go down to Jay, Me, where my mom is from, she would even bring it to a family celebration. Spaghetti always reminds me of the togetherness my family had when I was younger. Now it is a new beginning for my boyfriend and I. This is one of those smell good, feel good type of meals, it warms your heart, and your tummy. It brings my new family to the table, and taste is superb, and I haven't ruined a spaghetti dinner yet.
    People always say that food brings everyone around the table, as I've grown up i have come to believe that. There dare so many times that my parents and I or my boyfriend and I have sat around the table to enjoy Macaroni and Cheese, Spaghetti, or Shepard's Pie. enjoying the company not having to talk but just sitting around the table having a meal together, that is when the statement is true that food brings a family together. In the the memories make for the best recipes,a s long as you don't burn them.
   

1 comment:

  1. Wow, you really nailed this rewrite! Each graf has its job to do and does it; clear examples, real intro and outro. Thank god I've just had breakfast or I'd be getting hungry after reading this!

    ReplyDelete